Associate Instructor Paul Ghun Kim appointed Resident Conductor of Oregon Symphony

Paul-300The Jacobs School of Music congratulates orchestral conducting student Paul Ghun Kim, who has been appointed Resident Conductor of the Oregon Symphony.  The apointment of Kim follows a nearly year-and-a-half-long search by the orchestra.

“My teachers David Effron and Arthur Fagen guided me with paternal devotion to make sure I’m ready for any challenges ahead,” said Kim. “I thank them and the Jacobs School of Music for providing me with a training ground to thrive in.”

Kim is currently an Associate Instructor at the Jacobs School and the Music Director of the Indiana Youth Musicians. He holds a Master of Music degree in Orchestral Conducting from Rice University and a Bachelor of Music in Violin Performance from the Curtis Institute of Music.

His recent work with the Oregon Symphony impressed Music Director Carlos Kalmar who said: “Paul brings great musicality to the table, paired with excellent baton technique and great knowledge of the repertoire. He will be a great addition to our team, and I am excited that he is going to be the number two conductor for our wonderful orchestra.”

Read the press release >

Read a wonderful interview with Paul by The Oregonian >

• Facebook
  • Twitter