Alumnus James Mellichamp named 13th President of Piedmont College

The Jacobs School of Music congratulates James F. Mellichamp (Mus. Doc. ‘82), who  was recently named 13th President of Piedmont College

A comprehensive liberal arts institution with campuses in Demorest and Athens, Georgia, the college has an enrollment of 2,800 students in four academic schools.  Dr. Mellichamp, who joined the faculty of the college in 1982 as a Professor of Music, served previously as Department Chair, Dean, Academic Vice President and Provost. He plans to continue teaching his very active studio of organists at the college as well as with his performing career. 

About Bloomington

“Bloomington was probably the closest I will ever come to an ‘ivory tower’ experience,” said Mellichamp. “I learned so much about the craft of music there which has benefitted me greatly as a teacher and performer.  I am proud to say that I have a very large and active studio of organ students here – and have every intention to continue teaching because it keeps me grounded.”

“IU was important in other ways, too,” he said. “I made lots of friends who were in the vocal program and I became a life-long fan of opera while there.  My vacation this summer will be spent in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and I have tickets for several of the opera performances. One of my best friends while at IU and since has been chair of the organ department, Janette Fishell.  I don’t think either one of us could have ever imagined the paths our lives would take or the opportunities we have experienced.  I’m sure Janette would agree with me that much of our success is directly attributable to the fantastic education we received in Bloomington.”

James F. Mellichamp

With a performance career spanning almost forty years, James F. Mellichamp has made prominent appearances as an organist throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe.  His concerts include solo recitals at such notable venues as the Washington Cathedral, Berlin Cathedral, and the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. 

Dr. Mellichamp is President at Piedmont College, a private comprehensive liberal arts institution with enrollment of 2,800 students at campuses in Demorest and Athens, Georgia.  He has previously served as Department Chair, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Provost.  Since 1982 Dr. Mellichamp has been a member of the music faculty where he holds the rank of Professor of Music and maintains an active studio of young organists. 

As an organ consultant, he has been responsible for the design of almost fifty organs for churches and colleges in the United States.  He is also the author of articles related to organ design and construction published in various musical periodicals. Dr. Mellichamp records exclusively for the Mayflower label (www.mayflowercds.com). 

A member of the Atlanta Chapter of the American Guild of Organists, he has served that organization in numerous capacities including Treasurer, Sub Dean, and Dean.  He was a member of the Steering Committee and Treasurer of the 2007 Southeastern Organ Festival and Region IV Convention.

After study with Harald Rohlig at Huntingdon College, Montgomery, Alabama, Dr. Mellichamp was for two years an international organ scholarship recipient for study with Arno Schoenstedt at the Hochschule fuer Musik, Herford, Germany.   He holds a Doctor of Music degree from the prestigious Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University where he was a student of the legendary Wilma Jensen.

• Facebook
  • Twitter