Caleb Young to be Assistant Conductor for the Fort Wayne Philharmonic

Philharmonic to welcome new assistant conductor

| The Journal Gazette

caleb youngThe Fort Wayne Philharmonic will welcome a new assistant conductor in October, the organization announced Wednesday.

Caleb Young, 27, will work closely with music director and conductor Andrew Constantine, conduct the orchestra in a variety of concerts and play an active role in engaging audiences and the community.

Young’s conducting debut will be the Family Series Halloween Spooktacular concert on Oct. 30.

“The Fort Wayne Phil has such a fantastic reputation, not only nationally, but internationally, and I have had colleagues who have been involved with this orchestra in the past, and every one of them said, ‘You need to apply,’ ” Young said in a phone interview from Dallas.

Young said he sees his opportunities with the Philharmonic as being more than just the stage. He said he wants to be in the schools, interacting with students and local music educators.

“Having as much impact as I can outside of the concert hall is important to me. That means being a full-time member of the community,” he said. “I am moving to Fort Wayne, which I’m super excited about. I went to (Indiana University) for three years , but also my dad is from (Franklin,) Indiana, so I feel like I have some roots in Indiana.”

Young will replace assistant conductor Chia-Hsuan Lin, who is moving on to another assistant conductor position after working with the Philharmonic since late 2014. She will return for the Philharmonic’s Patriotic Pops concerts scheduled at the end of June and July.

A native of Asheville, North Carolina, Young began his musical training at 3 years old. He earned his bachelor’s degree in euphonium performance from the University of Alabama, and a master’s degree in orchestral conducting from Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.

Young has been a part of high profile programs for the Salzburg Festival, the Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music, and he served as assistant conductor for the National Music Festival.

Young said that his position with the Philharmonic will be his first professional job as a conductor.

“My teacher always said, ‘Always come to the podium with a great sense of empathy,’ because people come to the concerts, they see the musicians on stage, and I think there can be a disconnect of how hard it is to sit in that seat week after week. There’s a lot of pressure,” he said. “So I come to the podium understanding that.”

kcarr@jg.net

• Facebook
  • Twitter