Congratulations to Distinguished Professor J. Peter Burkholder, who has received the Deems Taylor Award from ASCAP for excellence in his scholarly article “Music of the Americas and Historical Narratives” [American Music (Winter 2009)] – see the article here. The article argues that music of the Americas is part of the Western tradition; as soon as there are Europeans in the New World, there is a two-way exchange that has resulted in a transatlantic musical tradition, and composers from Monteverdi and Bach through Debussy and Stockhausen have been influenced by music from the Americas.
- 2013 Austin B. Caswell Award winners
- The Jacobs School welcomes Renaissance musicologist Katelijne Schiltz for residency and a public lecture
- Faculty and students participate extensively in combined American Musicological Society, Society for Ethnomusicology, and Society for Music Theory Conference
- Katherine Baber (B.M. ’03 & D.M. ’11) accepts position at the University of Redlands
- Professor Halina Goldberg opens multi-media exhibit in Poland