Congratulations to Distinguished Professor J. Peter Burkholder, who has received the Deems Taylor Award from ASCAP for excellence in his scholarly article “Music of the Americas and Historical Narratives” [American Music (Winter 2009)] – see the article here. The article argues that music of the Americas is part of the Western tradition; as soon as there are Europeans in the New World, there is a two-way exchange that has resulted in a transatlantic musical tradition, and composers from Monteverdi and Bach through Debussy and Stockhausen have been influenced by music from the Americas.
- Guest professor lectures on Japanese music
- MUSIC REVIEW: ROWELL BIRTHDAY CONCERT
- Jacobs School of Music Lecture Series presents “Queering the Spiritual” Sept. 25
- 2013 Austin B. Caswell Award winners
- The Jacobs School welcomes Renaissance musicologist Katelijne Schiltz for residency and a public lecture